Friday, December 4, 2009

Five on Friday


Featuring Matt Smith, director of campus recreation

1. How did you end up back at your alma mater?
When I was a student at Olivet, I was "that guy" who always thought it would be awesome to come back and work here. I spent eight years in Michigan in youth ministry; but when I got the call to see if I'd be interested in my current position, I was thrilled. Although it was difficult saying goodbye to our dear friends in Michigan, it was so incredible to come back to a place I love so much.

2. You're a former youth pastor. Do you see any similarities between that ministry and your current job?
I think both jobs often get the stereotype of little work and lots of play. Yes, it is true, I get to play ... and it's so much fun.

But one of the similarities between you ministry and campus recreation is the fact that you have to surround yourself with a great team, invest in them and let them lead. I was blessed to have the best youth staff in the world at Lansing South Church of the Nazarene, and I am blessed here to have the finest campus recreation staff I could have ever hoped for. Each of those teams has allowed me the opportunity to do what I think is so important - build relationships with students.

3. What's your favorite recreational activity?
I love all sports, basketball and golf in particular. But the recreational activity that dominates the majority of my time these days is serving as a human jungle gym for my 5-year-old daughter.

4. How do you manage living in a house full of girls?
Lots and lots of prayer! No, seriously, I think the Lord knew exactly what I needed when he gave us our two girls. They have taught me so much about love and patience. For me, there's nothing better than Macey's smile or McKenna jumping into my arms. My wife, Michelle, is the glue of our family. I think the better question might be, "How do those girls put up with me?!"

5. What's one Christmas tradition you've started with your family?
Christmas is a big deal in our family. It's hard to narrow it down to one because we do so much during the season. We always sit down as a family and watch the Christmas classics, "A Charlie Brown Christmas," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Frosty the Snowman," ... the list goes on and on.

And my personal tradition is finding another Christmas album to add to the 90 or so I already have!

No comments:

Post a Comment