Friday, August 14, 2009

Five on Friday


Featuring Ed Daugherty, general manager of Sodexo


How did you come to Olivet?

I believe God put me in the right place at the right time. I grew up in Momence, and I’ve have been away from home for more than 17 years. I noticed this job was posted at ONU. My experience was in running corporate dining and museums. I was nervous about the challenges campus dining offered, but applied anyway. Four interviews later I accepted this job. Every day I'm thankful that I was the manager chosen.


What is one of the strangest requests you've received from a student?

The students are amazing. I don't get too many strange requests.


You spend all day around food, but what's your favorite thing to cook for you and your family once you get home?


My perfect meal would be smoked beef brisket, vegetable mashed potatoes, cilantro corn on the cob, coleslaw, jalapeno cheddar muffins, apple pie with vanilla bean ice cream and kiwi lemonade. But my family now eats very American: You plan a meal … then you call for take out!


As an avid reader, what's one book you can recommend to our readers?

Uncommon by Tony Dungy. It's a book that breaks down how to be a blessed man, how to example your life for others. I share core beliefs and couldn't put it down.


We hear you're a big sports fan — any plans to watch the Bears while they are in town?

I don’t have the time. You know when you go to the zoo and see the signs that say, "Do not feed the bears"? That doesn't apply to me because we feed the Chicago Bears four meals a day!


We also have regular business duties going on at the same time. We should be up to 400 students by next week. I've seen less practice than if a person came to just one camp. During training camp we are on call from 5 a.m. until 11:30 p.m.! We run several events during camp so you might see me around, but I'm normally working.

No comments:

Post a Comment