Friday, May 7, 2010

Guest Feature: Lessons learned, memories made

By Amy Duerrwaechter

As I sit and reflect of my time at Olivet Nazarene University, on the verge of graduation, many memories flood my mind.

I look back on all of my first things I did on campus: move in and unpack, eat everything in the cafeteria (only to realize that I would be eating this every day for the next few years), and going around to all of the buildings to find my classes for the next day. I remember discovering that to “fit in,” I needed to take two cups at the cafeteria and that I shouldn’t carry a purse.

I also remember meeting so many people my freshman year. Back then, I never would have thought that they would still be the people I turn to at the end of my senior year. These were the friends that truly became my family.

And Olivet Nazarene University became a home away from home. I have grown and learned — in more than just academics.

As a freshman, you are encouraged to get involved, but I didn’t think that the activities I joined would have any serious impact on my life. I joined Omega drama ministries simply figuring that this traveling team would be something fun to do that would get me involved. My first team consisted of seven people. These seven people have made the most impact on my life. They have morphed into roommates, fellow co-workers, team leaders and best friends.

The following year, my involvement with Omega changed from just being a team member to a team leader, and currently I serve as director of this ministry. This ministry has changed the way I view everything I do. It has given me leadership experience, and every year I have grown in ways I could never have dreamed possible. God has led me to meet some of the most amazing people, and each team has become a family of people to trust and experience the year with. I can honestly say that if I did not get involved in this one activity, my entire experience at Olivet would have been different.

When people say, “Get involved,” they mean it. My advice to new students? Get involved in something, anything. It’s worth it.

When I visited Olivet, and had the tour of the campus, I was told that the professors here truly care about the students. Coming from a small private high school that was important, but I was skeptical if it would actually be played out and true. But let me tell you: the professors here are some of the best people in the world.

There was a Saturday afternoon I was working on a project and was having problems. So I called my professor, and he came onto campus — on his day off — to help me.

So many times, I would run to my professors for advice on something outside of the classroom, and they were always willing to lend a listening ear. When professors say that they are here to help us, they mean academically — but also in everyday life situations. If you are a current or future student, take advantage of the wonderful people around you. They have so much experience and knowledge to share.

So often, friends and academics are what most people think of when they think of college experiences, but there is one more aspect that I cannot leave out. Throughout my time at Olivet, I have been able to grow spiritually.

God has blessed me in so many ways. I look at how He works situations out, and I am amazed at His provision. God has been with me through everything. If there is one thing that He has taught me the most in these last few years, it is to surrender everything to Him. This is a very hard thing to do, since I tend to want to be in control of everything, but He has always been faithful in providing for me, when there seems to be no other way.

As graduation nears, I am looking at my empty apartment, and all of the books scattered on the floor, and boxes being taped up. It just makes me think how thankful I am for my time here at Olivet.

It is because of the friends who have become family, the education I have received, and the God that provides for me that I know I will be successful in whatever tasks that come my way in the years to come.

Amy Duerrwaechter will graduate tomorrow from Olivet Nazarene University with her bachelor’s degree in photography. Following graduation, she will work as a graduate assistant for Olivet’s Office of Annual Giving as she pursues her MBA through ONU’s School of Graduate and Continuing Studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment