Thursday, April 15, 2010

Guest Feature: Bare Feet Heartbeat

By Houston Thompson

I thought it was a new fashion statement – students not wearing shoes.

I hadn’t noticed this lack of attire before on our campus. Of all days, it was cool, and for some, just plain cold. I thought, “Why would students begin a new trend on a day when the temperature was so low?” No doubt, the sidewalks had to feel cold, and I wondered how that made the rest of the body feel.

For me, it started about 8 a.m., when I visited a class and the professor made the comment, “I see you are all wearing shoes.” I thought to myself, “What an odd statement.”

Later in the day, I noticed students crossing the campus, entering buildings, going to lunch, going to class, barefooted. That professor knew something I didn’t know, but he wasn’t around for me to follow up. In an effort to satisfy my curiosity, I asked another faculty member, “What is this new phenomenon of students not wearing shoes?” Like me, she didn’t know. I have to admit I felt a little better since I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know what was happening.

As I headed to my office following a meeting, I met a guest on campus. The guest asked me, “How come some of the students are not wearing shoes?” I gave her an honest answer and said, “I don’t know.” I couldn’t explain why anyone would go barefoot on such a cool day and in a setting like our campus. After all, the University Life Handbook surely has guidelines about this.

Just then, a student, Stacey, was walking by barefooted. This was the moment I could inquire and hopefully gain understanding into what was happening around the campus. So, I asked, “Why are so many students not wearing shoes?” Stacey proceeded to tell me, and the campus guest, that this was a day of social action. To experience what it is like for people who do not have shoes, students were going barefooted. It was a way to experience need and make a statement about the cause.

I thought to myself, “This is cool” (no pun intended.)

Somehow, in the midst of going to classes, doing homework, pre-registration for next semester, and more, students were thinking about others who are less privileged. I was struck with the thought that down deep in the hearts of many of our students is a passion to identify with, reach out to, and help others who are less fortunate. I was moved by the overwhelming sense of compassion that many of our students were demonstrating. I was challenged with the idea that students were willing to embrace the cold to make a statement about a need with which others wrestled.

There is something different in the attitude of many of the students on our campus. Beyond all of the things that are required and expected, beyond all the opportunities available, there is the spirit of compassion that flows from the heart. There is an intense desire to make a difference.

I often say to students, “Let me hear your heartbeat.” The other day, I saw their heartbeat — bare feet strolling along cold sidewalks. It truly was a glimpse into the heart. It really isn’t a new phenomenon, as it is the heartbeat of the Christ-like. It is the expression of Christ’s love in a way that says we care and we are willing to show it.

I heard their heartbeat when I saw their bare feet.

Houston Thompson is chair of Olivet's Department of Social Work and Criminal Justice, directs the Social Work Program and teaches social work. He is also the dissertation coordinator for the Doctor of Education in Ethical Leadership at ONU.

No comments:

Post a Comment