Thursday, December 10, 2009

Teachable Traditions: Practical ways to build memories while demonstrating the true meaning of Christmas

Guest feature by Karla Pralle

As I see houses and businesses lit with Christmas lights, the following song lyrics pop into my mind: “It’s the most wonderful time of the year! With the kids jingle belling and everyone telling you ‘Be of Good Cheer.’ It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! It’s the hap-happiest season of all.”

This song by Eddie Pola and George Wyle talks about getting together with friends and family, sharing stories of years gone by. It allows me to ponder my own warm memories. I think about all the Christmas pageants and programs I’ve experienced or observed since I was a young child. For example, the song, “Away in a Manger” never changes and is almost always included in Christmas programs.

This ordinary song reminds me of the significant task I have ahead of me – to teach my own children about the greatest gift God ever gave: His Son, Jesus Christ.

During this holiday season I believe it’s important to take advantage of every teaching moment. Here are a few of the “teaching” traditions of my family.

Colorful Advent

Something new I’ve started this year with my own children (ages 7, 5 and 2) is an advent coloring booklet, where each day, one page is colored. Under the coloring portion, there is a section of the Christmas story.

We’ve been using this as our family devotional time for the corresponding day. I also added in the number of days until Christmas on the bottom of each page of the booklet.

As a child, my family and I worked on memorizing the second chapter of Luke in our family devotional time. Then, on Christmas day, we recited the Christmas story as a family. So this coloring booklet allows me to combine my childhood traditions with my own family traditions. On Christmas day we plan to use our coloring booklets to review the entire Christmas story.

Here is a link to the coloring pages I use: http://www.dltk-bible.com/advent/index.htm

Happy birthday, Jesus!

Just yesterday, my son asked me how Jesus is born again every year at Christmas time. I carefully explained that his understanding was incorrect and that Jesus isn’t born again every year, but that like us, Jesus has a birthday every year.

This reminded me of another tradition that I obviously need to emphasize this year. My family enjoys making and eating a “Happy Birthday, Jesus” cake on Christmas day. The symbolism helps children understand what we believe and places the focus of Christmas on Jesus Christ.
I’ve come across several variations for this, but I’ll share the three-layer cake that we like to make.

The first layer of the cake is brown to represent our sins, the second layer is red to show that Jesus’ blood was shed for our sins and the third layer is green to signify our new life in Christ. White frosting symbolizes Jesus’ purity and righteousness.

A yellow star on the cake stands for the star of Bethlehem. A red candle should be placed in the middle of the star and characterizes Jesus. A border of hearts can be placed around the cake sides. They represent each of us standing as witnesses for Jesus around the world. Lastly, a small birthday candle may be placed for each person in the room. These candles symbolize that we need to let our lights shine before all men and women, and we light these individual candles from the center “Jesus” candle.

Once the cake is finished, we sing, “Happy Birthday” to Jesus!

Adaptations can be made according to your time-limits or the supplies you have within your house. Make your cake special and unique.

For more details in making this cake, use the following Web site: http://oldfashionedliving.com/holidays/cmascake.html

The joy of giving

In a season where the world focuses on “receiving” gifts, I try to instill in my children the importance and joy in giving to others.

Though I normally carry little cash, during the Christmas season I like to give my children some money so that they can place some of it in the Salvation Army kettles. Sometimes they even donate a portion of their own allowance money. I explain to the children that the Salvation Army provides lodging and food for homeless and needy families.

Additionally, this year our family will also be giving a gift to a local family that is going through a challenging time. I have felt the Holy Spirit urge me to give to this specific family. Hopefully our family will continue to be blessed so that we can bless another family each Christmas for many years to come.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights." (James 1:17).

Check out this resource I’ve found that discusses gift giving at Christmas: http://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas-gifts.html

Meaningful traditions

Christmas traditions give our families something to look forward to each year. It also provides us with warm memories!

Whatever you and your family choose as your Christmas traditions, do it with joy and don’t forget to remind your children, grandchildren, church children and others that Jesus is truly the reason for the season.

Lastly, be adventurous with changing or starting new Christmas traditions of your own.

May you and your family have a Merry Christmas!

Karla (Godwin) Pralle graduated from Olivet in 1997 with a bachelor’s in psychology and then received her M.A.T. from ONU in 2005. She also has a master of physical therapy degree from GSU. She taught junior high science prior to staying home and pre-schooling her three children: Kiara (7), Kyler (5) and Keenan (2). To keep active in the teaching field, she also substitute teaches one to two days a week in the Bourbonnais school district.

No comments:

Post a Comment