Friday, November 20, 2009

Five on Friday



Featuring Donna McAllister, assistant dean of residential life

1. What do you enjoy most about your job?
My heart is full when I can invest in people, and that is what I enjoy most about my job. The opportunity to impact college students who are figuring out their way is a blessing to me!

College is such a remarkable, life-changing journey. It is an honor to me that students allow me to play a role in their journey. I'm daily encouraged and challenged in my own life by the conversations I have with students.

In my current role I oversee the 76 resident assistants on campus. These are solid leaders who have a true passion for students. I enjoy being around their contagious passion for the residents on the campus. It's incredible to be surrounded by students who want to make an impact for the Kingdom.

2. You have earned two master's degrees. Why is education so important to you?
My original intent in my pursuit of my MBA was to enter corporate America. My plans included landing a position at Sprint in Kansas City.

It was in the final months before I graduated that God led me to the Williams Hall resident director position in 2002. My position as an RD in the area of student development provided many opportunities to counsel and advise university women. It was then that I realized my heart's drive for walking through rough times with those who are hurting. Thus, I began my master's degree in professional counseling.

I believe I have led by example when encouraging students to continue their academic pursuits. Looking back, I can see how God used both degrees in my professional positions, but have also seen God use me in the lives of my cohorts. Education has served multiple purposes in my own life and has equipped me for many good things!

3. What are you most thankful for this Thanksgiving season?
I'm extremely thankful for my husband, Matt. We waited for each other longer than we expected, but he was worth the wait. I am blessed to have such a Godly, loving man as my life mate.

I am also very thankful for God's divine plan in our lives; this fall we began the adoption process! We are looking forward to building our family and trust that God is moving to make that happen!

4. What's one thing you like to do in your spare time?
Reading is the one thing I wish I could do more of. I'm a huge fan of Francine Rivers, Beverly Lewis and Karen Kingsbury books. Matt and I also love to be with our friends for game nights or dinners out.

5. Speaking of game nights, we hear you and Matt are pretty competitive. What's one game you like to play together?
Very true - we are competitive to a fault! One of our favorite games to play is a European game, Ticket to Ride. We've recently started playing online as well. I must admit, Matt wins most of the time, but I won't lose without a fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment