Friday, October 23, 2009

Five on Friday

Featuring Matt Bowman, admissions counselor

1. Why did you decide to become an admissions counselor?
Solomon said it best in Ecclesiastes 3: "I know there is nothing better for people than to be happy and do good while they live. That they may eat, drink and find satisfaction in all their work -- this is a gift from God."

When I came back to Olivet to work as an admissions counselor, I was ready to plug into something that would leave an imprint on a life for kingdom treasure. It was through encouragement of my Olivet family that I came back to be a part of the mission. I am very proud to be an Olivetian! Being a part of something bigger than myself and having the license to apply my faith in my work has been very satisfying.

I believe it's easy to do good in our lives, but being satisfied requires a heart and attitude transformation that Christ supplies. I love my work and the Olivet community!

2. What is your favorite Chicago activity?
So hard to limit it to one ... so many genres of activities in Chicago. Therefore, I will categorize my favorite genres of activities into four categories.

One: Dining -- One of my favorite things to do is eat. I enjoy finding restaurants that are unique to Chicago and expriencing that with friends. I recommend going to Ovengrinders pizza on North Clark.

Two: Ministry -- It has always been very hard for me to approach a stranger and introduce the Gospel to them, but I love the conversations when people do that to me in Chicago and it turns into a conversation in my life. I will meet people from Moody, Willowcreek and other churches in the Chicagoland.

Three: Chicago entertainment -- Chicago does an impressive job at providing its proud citizens with entertainment. Really, I could subcatergorize this, but I will spare you. I have been a part of countless free concerts in the park, Broadway shows, farmer's markets, ice skating, museum openings, sporting events, Taste of Chicago, cultural festivities, holiday celebrations ... I love this city!

Four: Networking games -- I really love networking and have no goals or aspirations for this, but I am not shy when I am at a Starbucks or shopping around. I like to engage people in my surroundings and it's interesting to evaluate their reaction to me.

3. We hear you're planning to go on a mission trip to Kenya. What do you hope to get out of that adventure?
A tan! Just kidding. I am looking forward to being a part of a men's ministry team that is traveling from Olivet to Kenya. I was introduced to this trip in a local Bible study I attend and have been very excited to experience African culture and be a part of the lives we come to meet!

Community development has always been a passion of mine in the mission field, and this trip will focus on ministry to men. Obviously the goal is to bring the Gospel and personal relationship with Jesus Christ to the table, and I personall enjoy doing that through community development.

4. What's your favorite way to stay in shape?
Maintaining a high metabolism, thank you, Lord! I am very active, but in an inconsistent way. I love to rollerblade, run, play intramural sports, longboard, bike. But I do those for fun, therefore there is no discipline to a workout routine. I always try to develop a workout routine, but fail! I need the fun to hold my attention!

5. You seem to have a never-ending supply of energy. Do you ever have a quiet moment or down time?
Great question! My roommate in college once told me, "You're 80 percent energetic and 20 percent chill," and I laughed because that is so true! I do have a high supply of energy, but 20 percent of my day I enjoy more relaxing leisure, whether that is thinking, praying, reading or watching TV.

I love the comments I get when I am in leisure mode because people will assume something is upsetting me or that I am sad. I just say, "Nope, just recharging!" People energize me - that's why I love a good 12+ hour Purple and Gold Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment