Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Guest feature: Shopping on a (secret) mission

By Stephanie (Quimby) Kumor ’04

“You’ll never believe what happened to me the other day,” she began. I tried to look interested, but chances were it was about one of her four wild children, and yes, I was sure I was going to believe it.

She continued her story even with my obvious lack of interest. “I was doing a secret shop when my youngest had a severe allergic reaction to peaches!”

Immediately I looked up. “Wait, what did you say?”

“Yeah, it was crazy,” she continued. “She broke out.”

“No, not that part,” I interjected. “You went on a secret shop?!?”

That’s how it all began. Since then, I have been a “mystery shopper” for grocery stores, clothing stores, restaurants, and cinemas. It’s true; I knew someday it would happen. I am actually paid for my opinion.

Now I’m sure you are intrigued, just as I was. So how is this possible?

Well, first of all, you have to be realistic. Secret shopping is not a way to earn millions, or even thousands. Secret shopping is a way to earn a little bit of extra spending money here and there while enjoying free meals, merchandise and movies along the way.

For me, as a stay-at-home mom and wife of a busy, medical resident, it’s a way to have FREE date nights. I can work as much or as little as I want, accepting or rejecting assignments based on the location, hours or pay.

All of that said, there are some ways I have found that will maximize payouts.

First, and foremost, never EVER pay to become a mystery shopper. If a site is asking you to do so, then it is a scam. As a secret shopper, you are an independent contractor. You are offering your services in order for the companies to fulfill contractual obligations to their clients.

Second, always be honest, but don’t always be negative. The companies that hire secret shopping agents are looking for ways to improve their customer service, and if you are offering helpful feedback, than you will be given the preferential assignments.

Third, apply with multiple companies and check each of them often. (If you are interested in a list of credible companies that I have checked out and actually received checks from, give me a holler.) You have to be proactive about seeking out work.

Finally, once you have established yourself as a quality shopper, give out your phone number. Secret shopping companies are paid way more than they pay out. When they call you to take assignments, they are usually desperate to fill last minute shops that people have cancelled on or the company was just unable to assign. When you receive these calls, they will more than likely pay a little over double what was originally advertized online, so hold out like a vegan at a steakhouse.

The number one rule for secret shoppers is to keep the fact that you are a “mystery shopper” under wraps. I think it’s obvious from the very fact that I am writing this article that this is a hard thing for me. I just get so excited about getting other people in on the fun.

Often, in reply to a description of what I do, I am quoted the old saying that “if it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is.” My only response is to smile.

I guess people can have their opinion, and that’s fine. In the mean time, I’m being paid for mine.

Stephanie Kumor is a 2004 graduate Olivet Nazarene University, and currently resides in Omaha, Neb., with her husband, Ben ’04 and two sons, Caleb and Thane.

1 comment:

  1. Who is this girl? I wish I could be more like her

    ReplyDelete