Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Word of the Week Wednesday: Gallimaufry

Gallimaufry (noun)

Pronounced:
gal-uh-MAW-free

Definition:
Hodgepodge

Example Sentence:
Knowing she would need to remember the detailed telephone message, Sheila scrambled to find a pen amongst the gallimaufry of papers, CDs and gadgets piled upon her desk.


---

Origins for the word “gallimaufry” go all the way back to the 16th century, where Middle-French speaking cooks made a meat stew called “galimafree.” It must have been a varied dish, because English speakers chose its name for any mix or jumble of things.

Personally, I’m grateful to these culinary artists for providing me with a sophisticated word to describe the clutter that so often creeps into my surroundings.

It’s much more satisfying to say I’m hunting through the “gallimaufry” than to admit I can’t find what I’m looking for in the pile of all my junk.

Definition, pronunciation, and historical facts taken from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment