Friday, September 25, 2009

Five on Friday


Featuring Johnathon Eltrevoog, program director and Rise and Shine Morning Show host for Shine.FM


1. You recently went on a missions trip to Haiti. What was one thing you learned from that experience?

I basically learned how much of a "Third World Country" the United States is. Not economically, like Haiti, but our riches here actually put us at a disadvantage because we feel like we don't really need spiritual things all that much. We feel like we're doing God a favor when we pay attention to Him, rather than really know that we need Him.


2. Why did you decide to start working on a master's degree in Christian ministry?

I don't have any plans right now to leave Christian broadcasting, nor become a pastor. But I am open to where the Lord leads; and I'm very interested in the subject matter. There are two sides to broadcasting: the ministry end and the business end. I almost started an MBA program but realized that I'm more excited long-term about the ministry end. I might not always see myself in radio or business, but definitely always in ministry.


3. What's the most bizarre phone call you've ever received from a listener?

Oh ... you had to ask. Probably the listener who called our 800 line from a mental institution and asked me if I could send him some cigarettes in the mail. When I told him I couldn't really do that. He screamed, "I thought you were my friend," and hung up. Bizarre for sure ... and pretty sad at the same time.


4. What's currently making the cut on your iPod play list?

You mean other than the 39 potential singles for airplay? In my "not listening for work" iPod listening, I'm tending to listen to stuff like the new "The Great American Midrange" record from my favorite rock and roll band, The Elms. I'm listening a lot to the newly re-mastered catalog of the Beatles. And, well, ever since I went to the Billy Joel and Elton John Wrigley Field concert back in July, I've been listening to a LOT of their stuff too. What pros they are, truly.


5. Your job requires you to be an early riser. What's one thing that helps you wake up in the mornings?

Can I give you several? Because no one thing necessarily works every day. My main answers would be:

1. If I don't get up right at 4 when my alarm goes off, [my wife] Natalie will start kicking until I'm up and out of bed.

2. Minimum of four cups of black coffee
3. Looking forward to my regular time of Scripture reading, prayer and reflection before I head into work. That's a new thing for me, and I'm really starting to love it. It's great when it can become a love more than a discipline-like "have to do" kind of thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment