Friday, September 4, 2009

Five on Friday

Featuring Travis Powers, linebacker for the ONU Tigers from Marysville, Ohio

1. Your first home game is this Saturday. Are you more nervous or excited?


I am a lot more excited about our first home game than nervous. We have put a lot of work in and have been pushed to our limits for this opening game. I am excited to see what we're made of.


2. What's the strangest pregame ritual you've witnessed by a teammate in your three years playing for ONU?


This is a funny question because from the outside looking in, most pregame rituals players do are half way strange and a little wild.


But hands down the strangest thing I've ever seen was a teammate who went through everything he did twice. That includes getting dressed, then undressed, then dressed again. Reading his Bible twice, saying two separate prayers with the same words and every time he took a drink, it had to be in sets of two.


3. What has new head coach Don Lee brought to the table?


It feels like Coach Lee has given us a new start to Olivet football. He has brought new techniques and coaching styles that have pushed us to become better each and every day. Also he has more passion inside of him than I've seen anyone have in a long time. If you are around Coach for more than five minutes, you will contagiously become passionate about what you are doing.


4. Your major, economics/finance, is not exactly known for being a fluff area of study. How do you balance being an athlete and a student?


Econ/Finance is at times a very busy major, but I have been taught never to limit myself. The key to being a student athlete is motivation. There is always a way to get things done. Never limit yourself.


Yes, it is easy to get burnt out and tired when you are involved in a lot of different things, but one thing I have learned is to enjoy the moment you are in at that time. When I am in class I need to enjoy the aspects of being around people that have common interests with me. When I am at practice, I need to make it the time of my life. If you look for enjoyment in what you do, it's always there!


5. Besides Tiger football, the whole campus is buzzing about Ollies Follies this weekend. How will you be participating?

Ollies Follies is amazing. Being an athlete, they don't let us participate in the games, but I go ahead and buy a shirt and yell as loud as I can for my class.


On a side note, I'm proud to be a junior this year. We swept the sports games. This weekend is the variety show, which is my personal favorite. I'll be right there in the midst of the juniors doing our thing. I'll make a bold prediction and say we'll come out on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment