Friday, August 28, 2009

Five on Friday


Featuring Derek Bowshier, resident director of Hills Hall (pictured fourth from right with his resident assistants)

You're an RD, so I bet you've had a pretty chaotic week. What's your favorite part of the new school year?

You're right in saying that these first few weeks are quite the adventure. With RD and RA training, preparing for the upcoming year, summer housing transitions, student move-ins, and everything else on top, I might say that my favorite part of the year is nap time....


Actually one thing I truly love are my RAs. I think my favorite part of the year is getting to know my resident assistant team. Because there are 175+ guys in my dorm, and only one of me, I rely heavily on my RAs to help build community through the dorm through Godly leadership and servanthood. It's one of my goals this year to make sure I do all I can to invest in my seven RA leaders so they can then mentor and invest in the guys on their floor.


This is my third year serving as the resident director in Hills Hall. Even though five of the seven RAs are new, I already feel like we've connected and grown together as a team just in these first few weeks. We had the chance to spend a few days camping together and I think the closeness and unity we've established will help us grow together throughout the year.



You spend quite a bit of your summer in Belize. Why?

I had never been out of the country before, until a few years back when I had the opportunity to do some filming down in Belize. In the four days I was there, a good part of that time was spent viewing from behind a lens. Even in that short time, it was a struggle boarding the plane knowing I was headed back to my schedule-filled life of excess and comforts.


I knew then it would not be my only time in Belize.


This summer I had the opportunity to go back and experience a deeper understanding of God's love by living in the jungles and investing more into relationships over tasks. I stayed with a missionary friend and mentor, Ray Neu, and his wife, Becky, who helped me discover a glimpse of God's transcendent nature from a more global perspective. I traveled from village to village, meeting brothers and sisters in Christ. Some were from the tribes of Maya Mopan, some were Ketchee, some were Creole or Mestizo, but all were children loved by God. It was in the jungles of Belize that I found a peace beyond understanding.


Where else would you like to travel?

My list of places to experience grows continually; Iceland, Venice, The Holy Lands, Ireland, The Philippines, Paris, Antarctica, Mount Kilimanjaro, New Zealand, Sweden, Moscow, Scotland and Boston … are just a few.


But even though I love to travel, I'm learning to find peace wherever I may be, whether it's experiencing new places or sharing the joys of where I am.


Tell us a bit about your graduate work in critical film studies. What interests you about this?

I love stories. When Jesus walked this earth, a primary method of communicating His truth was through story. I think many of the films we watch today would be considered modern day parables. Stories that not only convey some bit of message or truth, but help us understand life and the world we live in.


Film is perhaps the most powerful medium of communication, which is why it's so important that we stay active and aware in what we are allowing our minds to absorb. I believe it can be both easy and dangerous to become a passive viewer when it comes to movies.


For me, movies are more than just entertainment, which is why I have a passion for not only story, but understanding how a story can affect or change us in many aspects. And by diving deeper into this understanding of not only recognizing what is being said, but how, I look to be able to enhance my own storytelling abilities so I may be able to use my gifts and passions in a way that most effectively communicates God's truth and character in fresh and compelling ways.


You're quite the movie buff. What is one classic movie you'd recommend to our readers?

I guess i've seen a couple movies over the years. Recommending just one is difficult; it really depends....


I'm a big Woody Allen fan, but he's got one of those like it or hate it type styles so I wouldn't necessary recommend him to a mass audience.


I have recently found the 1966 best picture drama A Man for All Seasons to be among my current favorites classics; but if you’re looking for something a bit more fun, I would say Harvey, starring James Stewart is worth a view.


No comments:

Post a Comment